New Life was founded in 2011 by Pastor Mark Meyers, his wife Jennifer, and a group of fifteen people. They met in the coffee shop of Hilltop Ministry Center to worship, pray, and develop plans for a new church which will serve Machesney Park, Loves Park and other surrounding communities.
The staff and leadership here at New Life United Methodist Church is comprised of men and women who love, care and pray for every single person in the church. If you have any questions for any of our staff, feel free to reach out by via email at: email@example.com
Rev. Heewon Kim is an ordained elder in the Northern Illinois Conference. He was born in South Korea and grew up in Seoul. Though he attended church from his birth, his high school years became a milestone as he met Jesus personally and in a genuine level he accepted Him as Lord and Savior in a Methodist revival movement. Pastor Heewon believes that God called him in a cross racial/cross cultural ministry to cultivate our hearts and minds to be more like Jesus, accepting, embracing, sharing, and even celebrating our diversity in God’s creation.
Disciple of Christ, Penny serves as New Life's Praise Band Leader where she coordinates music for worship and assists in encouraging faith based practices where ever she can! Penny is also a Return Team Member as well as a Staff/Parish Relations Committee Member. Safe Sanctuary Certified, Penny leads our services in our call to worship, and is an avid member of small groups, bible study and prayer group!
Disciple of Christ, Brenda is a Leader of the "Life Force" Youth Group that serves children from 7th Grade-High School. Brenda is also a member of the intentional discipleship team and is the chair of the return team which helps keep folks safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, and assists in the transition to normalcy. Brenda is also Safe Sanctuary Certified.
Disciple of Christ, Charlie is a Community Activist and our Missions Coordinator. Charlie leads all of our community missions such as Paper Angel Closet and Angel Tree Project. Charlie is consistently coming up with ways to better serve our community and does an incredible job. Charlie assists in the sermons by selecting scripture readings each week as well!
Disciple of Christ, Brad is the Chair of our Staff/Pastor Parish Relations Committee. Brad works to encourage, strengthen, nurture, support and respects the staff and pastor's needs. Brad is also a Trustee member and Finance Team member where he works tirelessly to better improve our worship space.
Disciple of Christ, Heather serves as a member of New Life's Praise Band. Heather Leads any media communication efforts for both the website, and social media. Heather also coordinates advertisement in our area, to reach new people and promote any events the church hosts.
Disciple of Christ, Ciarra is a leading member of the "Life Force" Youth Group. Ciarra is our live stream technician where she ensures the quality of our worship service online. Ciarra is also our encouraging word author, where each week Ciarra finds scripture and assists us in the connection of the word to our own lives and to promote learning, positivity and healing to all.
A Community That Loves
Here at New Life we strive to be a community that loves and supports one another through all things because of the love of Jesus Christ that lives within us.
- Fellowship – fellowship is a vital part of our community experience. We continue to give fellowship during worship, during special events, and throughout the week so that we may grow closer to one another.
- Taste of New Life* – the 2nd Saturday of each month we stay after worship and share a meal at New Life. Bring a dish to pass!
A Community That Challenges You, In All The Best Ways
We hope to grow in love daily and we challenge ourselves and one another to be committed followers of Jesus Christ. This is a lifelong process of growth.
(1) Teaching – each week we share scripture and a message that hopes to inspire and challenge your growth as a disciple of Jesus Christ. Children's Ministry is also provided as we believe experiences for Children and Youth to grow in Christ, can never begin too early.
(2) Group Discussion – Bible study is a weekly time of study (Wednesdays 6:00pm) where we dig deeper into God’s Word and learn from each other and our own experiences in Christ.
(3) Formation Groups – groups of 2-4 people who gather together regularly for personal and spiritual support and to hold each other accountable in discipleship.
A Community That Makes A Difference
Our faith is made real when put into action. We believe the Holy Spirit equips the Church and each of us with gifts to make a difference in our community and world.
- Communion – Once a month in worship we experience the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper so we can be empowered by the gift of God’s Grace.
- Global Mission – we support local missionaries and global missions such as Imagine No Malaria. This year we are supporting local missionaries, Jeremy and Tina Skinner, as they share the Good News of Jesus Christ in Indonesia. Find out more at Skinners2Indo.com
- Paper Angel Closet – This is our onsite outreach project to supply paper goods and toiletries to families in need. We also supply goods to youth identified as homeless by the Regional Office of Education and to foster families/children in transition.
*COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines are followed.